Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Days 1 and 2 August 11th and 12th
























































































































We got off to a rocky start. It all started with an unexpected thunderstorm at xna that made the power at the airport go off and on. Our plane was delayed, but because of the layover in Atlanta we should have made our connecting flight to Mumbai. But...for whatever reason once we landed in Atlanta we sat on the plane while we watched the clock tick away and our plane fly away:(

We were now in Atlanta with no way across the ocean. The worst part was knowing that the domestic Indian flights were also going to be leaving without us, our hotel that we paid for would be useless, etc. etc. One mishap in a well planned trip can throw everything off. So, it was time to get tough with Delta. They tried to tell me to stay the night in Atlanta, but I prevailed and was off to Dubai and then to Mumbai only arriving three hours later than orignally scheduled. This allowed us to catch our first domestic flight in Mumbai.

Now let's talk about a 15 hour flight. Never Again! Ouch, my back and shoulders still hurt. No leg room for 8 hours is uncomfortable but 15 hours was torture. I ended up crawling in the floor, and yes this was a first. I was just skinny enough to wedge myself under the seats and hide. The man who shared our section of three seating isle was more than obliged to not step on me when he was awake. However, the dude behind me kept putting his feet on me. I didn't get this desperate until about 10 hours into the flight. Daniel was dying so me getting in the floor gave him two seats to use. At the end of the flight I was spotted by a flight attendant. She didn't really seem to care but did feel obligated to tell me I was not supposed to sleep in the floor...so I got up:)

The layover in Mumbai was after 13 hours of flying. We were only there for a couple of hours, but I could tell I was somewhere far away. The airport was nice, but eerie with the mosque sounds and music filling the air. Also, we immediately noticed that lots and lots of people were wearing masks for swine flu.
After another 2 or 3 hours we landed in Mumbai, India. But not before the flight attendants abruptly made an announcement that we only half heard, something about if you think the fumes will hurt you cover your mouth. Then the aircraft was filled with a misty fog of something. I think they sprayed us with pesticide, but whatever it was it was for swine flu they said. At this point we are really starting to think. But then the real kicker was when we got off the plane in Vadodara. It seemed that everyone but us had their mask:( I wanted mine, but couldn't seem to find a vendor. I'm still looking! Anyway, the mystery was solved when we got our hands on the local newspaper. Apprently Mumbai and Vadodara (the first two stops of our day) were having big swine flu problems.
Very quickly let me go back to our arrival to India... We made it but our luggage did not. We were not alone. Two Indian families who missed the same connection and were re routed to Dubai as we were also didn't get their luggage. The one Indian customer got into a big arguement with the Indian worker at mishandled baggage, and it was very dramatic. I was trying not to cry because I was mourning the loss of my well planned and packed and prepared luggage, and I was sleepy, and these men were getting really intense. We still don't have our luggage but are keeping the airlines informed of our travel itinerary and are in hopes that it will arrive. Tomorrow we are going to have to buy some Indian clothes. We bought toothpast and other toiletries to get us through. They gave us a whopping $90 to help us out.

We hired a driver today and we were really just in complete culture shock. Just sitting in the car and observing was so much fun, and sad at times, but definately eye opening. Hindus consider cows sacred so nobody hurts them. They are on every street and parking lot and roam around freely as they please. One really interesting thing is that you will be driving down the road and pass a bus, and then pass a camel. You'll see decent sized houses side by side the tent shacks. Both worlds of India seemt to exist side by side. You can't see the prosperous parts without going through the poor.

Daniel fell into the first child sympathy trap today. I could go into more detail about this, but for so many reasons handing children money in town is a very bad idea.

I was a very bad girl at the airport in Mumbai. I actually had the nerve to follow my husband into the security line. I was very quickly scolded and told to leave the men's line. OOPS, I didn't know there were two!!! I had to go with the ladies and meet up with Daniel on the other side. And then later on Daniel did the same thing on accident and was quickly ran off. LOL

While I like the people so far, they are also very pushy! Nobody takes time to let anyone else get up out of their seats on the planes, they beep their horns every second on the road. That's all you hear! And honestly, I thought we were going to be in a few wrecks. They know what they are doing though, and we didn't see any accidents. An American driving themselves in that would be a gonner fast!

Now we are in Jaipur and will be for a few days or so. Our hotel room is so nice and really hit the spot after nearly 48 hours with no bed or shower! We are staying at the Golden Tulip. I do believe I will be getting a massage tomorrow before heading out tour.

I'm off to bed. Daniel passed out an hour ago.
































No comments:

Post a Comment